Thursday, March 10, 2011

Worlds Away

Wow! It has been way to long since I have last written on the blog...my apologies! As I was catching up on the latest news this morning before coming into the office I was hit by this simple thought - when a tragedy strikes anywhere other than your own life it seems worlds away. Seemingly zero impact is felt. Why is that? Am I just an calloused old toot now [ya, now that I'm 40!]? Is it because I am truly not effected by the actions or words? What causes the heart strings to resound? Where does the word compassion fit into this?
You know as well as I do that if we were to respond to every call of need or help we would cease to exist as ourselves and be pulled by such a plethora of directions we would either explode or implode! Nevertheless, I believe there are calls of need or help that, if given a large screen to put all of them on, would be highlighted with our name by them. Ones we are called to get personally involved in. How do we know which ones?
I believe the answer to this is a both/and situation in our lives. I believe we are both called to pray and act upon our "heart's duty" [to quote Mulan II][not used in the eastern mysticism context of the movie though]. God moves within us and we are called to be not only aware of that movement but to also follow His leading. Hear me straight...I don't think this is always an easy thing to do or figure out. Sometimes the obvious action is right in front of us and we are simply called to obey the overwhelming "divine push." But, sometimes it is not as clear.
It is those unclear aspects that we must stop and really pray over. Example: am I to go to Haiti to minister because of a great cry for help or am I to go to Omaha to rub shoulders with the homeless and bring hope to their lives? Both are good and right things to do. Both are within my abilities and gifts that God has granted me. Both are "do-able." Is it both? Is it one over the other? Or, am I called to something totally different and am not seeing the true call on my life? I know one friend that will say there is only one "right" answer [you know who you are!]. I'm not so sure. Therefore, it is now time to pray. Not just a quick table prayer so that I can check it off my list of "correct spiritual practices." I mean really pray. Fast. Search God's heart and ask Him to show it clearly to me so that I might follow it.
Guess what? You are called to do the same thing. I believe it is a constant in our lives. We are to be so dependent on God's leading that we are constantly going to Him to ask what He desires of us each and every day. This is not to be a paralyzing thing that causes us not to do anything at all; rather, it is a motivating aspect that causes us to be propelled into each and every day looking for God's movement in our hearts and lives...then it is simple obedience to follow or not. From the mundane to the magnificent, we are called to follow...even worlds away.
May God grant you open eyes today,
Pastor Matt